To Banksy or not To Banksy?

banksy-dalston-gilette-square

The world is full of douchebags.

alex-banksy-gillette-square-love-not-money

In particular the douche pictured about holding an incredibly thin paintbrush when it would appear he defaced the banksy with an 'aerosol can' and a shitty handstyle.

Alex (pictured above) proudly being photographed as he paints his message of “Love Not Money” over hours of Banksy work. Alex drew in a crowd whilst defacing the famous work, one woman was said to have been on her knees pleading him to stop.

Douches indeed but they do get you thinking - especially with the similar Banksy related incident to occur on Melbourne's streets last year. What say you?

I am a Banksy fan, I think he is witty, but I still think what happened in Melbourne was hilarious. The whole point of Street Art is that it evolves with the street, if people respect it then it stays - isn't Keith Harrings's stencil from the 80's still up in Richmond? Putting perspex over such a thing is asking for it.

But painting over it and posing for cameras when you look like a failed version of Alex Turner is also asking for it. Where was Alex when he was painting the Segregation Wall in Palestine? Or putting his own works up in the Tate or the Met? All your homeboys is biters bitch.

Anyway there is an interesting article on Nerdbanite about the whole thing and I'd be interested to know what other people make of it all.

10 Responses to "To Banksy or not To Banksy?"

• Hayley
    May 6, 2009 - 10:12 am

Spot on Soph.

The Melbourne incident was fantastic. A little shocking, very funny and made its point. But more importantly, the reaction it caused was the most hilarious.

Alex pictured above is a complete douchbag with no concept of what’s going on in the street. He can go and stick his paintbrush up his ass, pull it out and lick it. Whatever face he makes after that is the same face I made when I saw his picture.

• Community College
    May 6, 2009 - 10:37 am

I read in the news recently this volunteer group in the uk accidently painted over this lady’s Banksy that was on the side of her house! She was pissed! Now they’re getting art conservationists to try and peel off a layer or something. That’s when shit get’s kinda ridiculous. Like I like Banksy well enough but why is it ok for him to do shit because it’s worth money and other kids stuff that’s fuckin rad get’s painted over. There’s actually this doco on Thursday night called Melbourne Ink about the street art scene in Melbs. In particular the way Melbourne markets it’s self as a hub of street art to get tourists etc but doesn’t foster the scene at all, in fact is getting harder on “offenders”. That pisses me off! Can’t have your cake and eat it too you cunts.

• Benny Z
    May 6, 2009 - 10:46 am

Fucking cock suckers. What ever happened to the respect?

Speaking of which, I’ve got the Metrosexual DVD sitting next to me, waiting to be watched…

• Ghostface Kallum
    May 6, 2009 - 11:54 am

I think there’s a lot of hypocrisy and irony in trying to protect graffiti. Its a shit analogy but graffiti is like fire, no matter who plays with it there gonna get burnt. While I have a lot of respect for Banksy, he tends to make every arts student think there some sort of stencil renegade and have some conclusive opinion about the distinction between street art and graffiti. Just because he might be among the richest illegal artists, doesn’t mean he commands any more respect in graff circles, especially outside of his own area. So someone capping one of his pieces just reflects the frivolous nature of the game. But some attention seeking twat doing a public painting over this stencil should be painted blue and shot. I don’t even understand what he’s trying to state. “Love not money” I’d say that a millionaire artist still painting the streets, for the people and integrity sake, means that Alex’s shitty blue stain is the same message as the intention of the artist.

• Community College
    May 6, 2009 - 1:00 pm

he brings shame to my nammme!

• MrBananas
    May 6, 2009 - 2:34 pm

i couldnt care less about that prick painting over shit, just looking at him is enough to make me wanna bounce metal things off his face!

gotta say tho i’m a big fan of what that ozone brer is doing : )

• Chopper
    May 6, 2009 - 3:14 pm

Good or not: stencil artists are the rollerbladers of the paint world.

• Hayley
      May 6, 2009 - 5:39 pm

Ha ha, you called them artists.

• Miglet
    May 6, 2009 - 4:32 pm

Ha ha!

I was waiting for someone to say that!

• Hayley
    May 6, 2009 - 5:46 pm

Does this mean Alex pictured above is the equivalent to one of those razor scooter fucks?